Inverted Pyramid Style is one of the most popular and common styles of writing in Newspaper.
- Arranging facts in order of descending style.
- Easy to cut from bottom – in print & TV
- Informative and importance is being first.
- Practised for over more than 50 years.
- Popular for Accidents, Calamity, Debates, Sports etc…
- Not for Interviews on various matters, Public Speech.
- Not for Dramatic Stories, Adventures with Climax.
Headline is the title of a news story. It is placed on the top of every news story to serve as the heading for the content written below.Headlines should be clear and specific.
The top part is called the lead and as the name suggests contains the most critical information. It should mention by whom, when, where, why, what and how it all happened.
The middle part is addressed as the body. They contain subsequent paragraphs giving additional facts related to the incident.
The final part is known as the tail/conclusion. This section contains information regarding events that are occurring related to the incident.
- ‘ SOME DIRECT QUOTES ’ – makes interesting.
- Use transitions to link
Example: Also, meanwhile, on the other hand.
- Effective of this style is Quantity of Language VS Quantity of Information.
‘ SEE A THING CLEARLY AND DESCRIBE IT SIMPLY. THIS IS GOOD REPORTING ’
Go for relevant factors from Personal, authoritative source…
Gather complete background of the News.
Submitted by Jebhan Samuel R.J with inputs from DR. Jayaprakash. CR on October 16, 2022.