The correctness and quality of a company’s written contents are ensured by an editor. They are in charge of organizing and producing textual content. One of an editor’s primary responsibilities is to edit copy and make improvements to it. Other jobs include advising authors on content pieces and educating writers on best practices. A content calendar must also be made. Editor in chief and senior editor are couple of the positions that an editor could advance to.
Responsibilities of Editor:
- Rewrite copy from writers
- Modify written content from writers
- Develop a content calendar
- Develop ideas for content
- Oversee content production
- Create highly shareable content
- Adhere to journalism best practices
- Assign projects and monitor deadline
Duties of an editor:
- To enhance the editor’s position, analyse and capitalise on the unique characteristics and needs of print and digital media.
- Manage and generate news so that information is presented accurately, logically, and on schedule.
- Create original and creative methods to enhance everyday news coverage.
- Keep an eye on audience trends and employ multimedia, nonlinear, and alternative narrative techniques.
- Manage and revise material to meet reader needs and deliver thorough information for those needs.
- Utilize your creativity to address diverse competing priorities.
- Establish a work schedule and deadlines, and motivate the team to reach goals in order to facilitate timely publication.
- Design and implement coverage strategies to facilitate wide coverage of all sorts of issues and news.
- Teach news reporters how to choose stories that will interest both current and potential readers.
- Work together to identify priorities for the same with colleagues in the newsroom and other departments.
- Work together with both internal and external customer service to achieve the best possible workflow.
- Check all new information for validity and confirm the accuracy of published articles with sources to prevent disagreements.
- Work together with editors, photojournalists, reporters, and anchors to provide effective news coverage and increase the company’s position in the media market.
- Use technology to your advantage by using editor’s software, maps, stingers, and computer graphics.